Saturday, February 14, 2009

Allergist

Isaac had to go to his 6 month check up at the allergist yesterday. To start out with we started out with a breakfast for champions. Isaac had "shiny raisin bran" which is Raisin Bran Crunch, and I had Grape Nuts. Isaac asked for a bite of my cereal - when I shared he said ."Are these rocks?" Can't fool a kid.

On the way to the doctor's office John and I were prepping him for the testing to come. We told him the doctor was going to do some tests on him to let him know what foods would make him sick. Isaac didn't say much, and then he said "And docta say, No mi monke jumpin on bed." I guess in his head all doctors are concerned about monkeys jumping on the bed.

In case you haven't had to do allergy testing I thought I would include a picture of what this looks like. It is pure torture for the kid. They label your back with testing numbers and then they prick each site with the offending food. The ones that are red and swollen are the sites of his allergic foods.

Isaac was quite a trooper. After his testing the nurse brought in the prize box. He looked through it a bit and his eyes lit up when he saw a pencil - he quickly pulled it out and threw his arm around his back and tried to scratch his testing sites with the pencil - quite bright if you ask me. Anyway - the good news is we get to return some foods to his diet: fish (YEAH!), strawberries, cinnamon, garlic and chocolate. Several are still on his list peanuts, ofcourse, as well as oats, soy, seasame seeds and eggs (this has gotten a bit worse - we are supposed to avoid eggs like peanuts). We added a few new ones to his list as well: tomatoes, onions, and lettuce.
Poor guy - Isaac is quite a trooper though, thank goodness.

1 comment:

EGs' Mom said...

Oh my goodness!
I'm glad that you can add some items back in. Especially garlic since I know you liked to cook a lot with it.
I didn't think that you could be allergic to lettuce. :(